Baptist Academy of Antigua
- Founded by Dr. Hensworth W.C. Jonas in 1991
- An agency of the East Caribbean Baptist Mission (ECBM)
- Four divisions: Secondary, Elementary, Preschool and Daycare
- 34 full-time and 8 part-time faculty and staff positions
- 15 university graduates on staff and several currently enrolled in undergraduate and graduate programmes
- Current enrollment for 2011-2012 academic year: 429
- Curricula: A-Beka (entire school), Caribbean Examinations Council (Form 1 to Form 5), Government of Antigua & Barbuda (Kindergarten to Grade 6), ECBM Bible Curriculum (entire school)
- 100% of Baptist Academy students that have taken the national Common Entrance Examinations have passed every year.
- #1 position in the national Common Entrance Examinations in Antigua & Barbuda in 2011.
- 84% of the 25 students submitted for Common Entrance in 2011 were in the Top One Hundred
- #1 position in the Common Entrance Examinations in Antigua & Barbuda for 6 of the last 9 years
- 100% pass rate in the CSEC examinations in 2011
- #1 position in the CSEC (CXC) examinations in Antigua & Barbuda in 2009. The #1 student passed 10 subjects with 10 distinctions. In 2009 and 2010, all the 5th Form students were recipients of one or more awards at the National LIME CXC Awards.
- 100% of Baptist Academy students that have taken the CSEC(CXC) examinations have passed four (4) to eleven (11) General proficiency subjects at one sitting with Mathematics and English A always included
- 3 dramatic presentations annually – Christmas, Easter & Summer (Prize-Giving and Graduation)
- Music: Voice training & music theory with flutophone instruction, Baptist Academy Steel Ensemble
- Sports: intramural track & field, intramural & varsity basketball, intramural soccer
- 2011 Senior Basketball League Champions in the Antigua & Barbuda Inter-School Basketball Championship
- 2009 Junior Basketball Champions in the Antigua & Barbuda Inter-School Basketball Championship.
- 2009 and 2010 Junior Boys Champions in both the league and play-offs
Annual Sports Day at Baptist Retreat Center (Inter-House Athletic Championship)
- On November 1, 2011, Dr. H. W. C. Jonas was appointed by the office of the Governor-General of Antigua & Barbuda as a Grand Cross in the Most Precious Order of Princely Heritage (GCH) for his service in the field of education.
- Ms. Nadine Smith completed her Master of Education degree (M.Ed.—Teaching & Learning) at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. She completed her course of study with High Distinction and a GPA of 4.0.
- CXC Performance
- We had the Top CXC Student in Antigua and Barbuda in 2009. The student was Ariel Maynard who gained 10 distinctions in the following subject areas – English A & B, Mathematics, Spanish, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Social Studies, Principles of Accounts & Principles of Business.
- In the previous year, 2008, Ariadne Walker gained 10 distinctions.
- We had a 100% pass rate in the 2011 sitting of the examination.
- This past academic year was the 8th year that the Baptist Academy has entered students for the CXC/CSEC examinations.
- CXC Performance
- No one has ever failed English A or Mathematics in all eight years.
- For the past three years, all the students gained a distinction (Grade 1) in English A. In 2009, all the 11 students submitted gained distinctions in Mathematics. In 2010, all the 13 students submitted also gained distinctions in Mathematics; and in 2011 all but 2 students of our 14 submitted gained a Grade 1 in Mathematics with the two earning a Grade 2.
- All 8 students who were submitted for the 2010 CSEC Principles of Accounts Examination received a Grade 1.
- Common Entrance Examinations Performance
- Over 1,600 students wrote the Common Entrance Examinations in Antigua & Barbuda.
- The Baptist Academy submitted 25 candidates.
- Of that number, 21 were in the Top One Hundred.
- This represents the highest number of all the private and public Elementary schools on the island.
- 7 students were in the Top Ten.
- #1 – Akanii Simon, #3 – Shaunna Archibald & Nicholas Thomas, #5 – Dexter Laurence, #8 – Jenee Henry, #9 – Dejaun Harris, #10 – Galair Prevost
School Calendar Highlights
- Annual Sports Day (Secondary & Elementary Divisions)
February 10, 2012
- Semester Break (Secondary & Elementary Divisions)
February 16 – 17, 2012
- Fun Day (Pre-School Division)
February 17, 2012
- Easter Programme
- Lower Elementary & Pre-School - April 3, 2012,
Secondary & Upper Elementary – April 5, 2012
- Baptist Academy Steel Ensemble Presentation
April 9, 2012
- Easter Vacation (Secondary & Elementary Divisions)
April 10 – 13, 2012
- Secondary & Elementary Divisions reopen
April 16, 2012